|| A hands-on exploration of
advertising and marketing
opportunities on the worldwide network of networks
Presented by Jack Powers at the @ Cafe, East Village NY on
November 17 | December 1, 1995
January 19 | February 16 | April 19 | June 4 | June 20, 1996
At Cafe Orbitale, Paris on February 1, 1996
At DX.com, New York on October 11, 1996 | January 24, 1997
Updated: January 10, 1997 | Slides in HTML format | Slides in Acrobat .PDF format
EMAIL AND LISTSERV
- Juno ad-supported email.
- Unsolicited "Third Class" EMail Co-Op
- Medscape Web Site Promo Newsletter
- PointCast "push" network
GEOGRAPHY OF THE INTERNET
- Yahoo Directory, started by Stamford grad students,
now a hot company with 250,000 visits per day and advertising.
- Federal Express
- Lycos Search Engine, another university project
turned commercial with more than 60 million pages indexed.
Points for Web Exploration from the National Center for Supercomputing Applications
(NCSA) provides links to the full range of Internet resources from the academic developers
WORLD WIDE WEB WALKING TOUR
- Eli Lilly corporate Home page, with Chairman Randy
- The Well and
- Sydney University Cappucino Machine
- Peeping Tom Home page listing scores of
cameras attached to the net
- News4 Denver
Colorado camera network
- Iguana Images
- RealAudiostreaming audio from Progressive
- Interactive Model Railroad in Ulm,
- The New York Times
- CBS Television Network
- Paramount/Star Trek
- Discovery Channel
- Cade, the Brazilian Yahoo
- Tripod Magazine, where you can make your own home
- Hot Wired
- Time-Warner's Pathfinder
- ESPN SportZone combining space ads with a
$4.95 per month pay tier
- Adobe Systems
- Mama Ragu's Home page
- Hot Hot Hot
- Miller Genuine Draft Taproom
- MCI Telecommunications
- Sprint's Sprint Stop
CATALOGS, MALLS AND
- Internet Shopping Network
- Amazon.com, the world's biggest bookstore
- Global Shopping Network with MarineNet, FishNet and
- MasterCard list of shopping sites
- Bookport on-line book delivery
- InfoHaus' First Virtual payment system
featuring Reuters MoneyNet on-line financial
- DigiCash's Ecash Home Page
- American Express University
- CMP's TechWeb, a multi-title site with 17
computer trade magazines, very strong navigation tools and lots of context-sensitive
- Alamo Rent-A-Car
- Women's Link from Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Riddler, and ad-supported game site
- Advertising Age Critiques of
major advertising sites
- MovieLink, a complex and
constantly updated multi-city movie database with transaction links and several different
kinds of ad placements.
- Firefly, a state-of-the-art music database that
matches readers' preferences across thousands of recording artists.
- Interactive Publishing
Alert's Advertising Index
- I/PRO web auditing software featuring the I/AUDIT
- Interse web stats software vendor
Internet Stats Page
- ELECTRIC-PAGES Web Site Statistics, a report of
the activity on this web site in January of 1996.
- Netscape's What's Cool Page
- Internet Advertising
Resources published by Advertising Age, Hot Wired and Organic On-Line.
- Beginner's Guide
to HTML from NCSA, the people who developed Mosaic.
- Web Design Group's HTML help pages
Writing Page for a comprehensive set of links.
- Vanderbilt University's Project 2000,
an academic research program on marketing in computer-mediated environments, including a
paper by Hoffman, D.L. and T.P. Novak, "Marketing
in Computer-Mediated Environments: Conceptual Foundations."
- 1995 Commercenet/Nielsen
Survey of Web demographics and the followup 1996 Recontact Study.
- A Marketers Guide to Creating and Managing a Web Site, links
for an in-depth GRLab seminar on writing, illustrating and programming for the web
- Freemark ad-supported email. [Now
- Open Markets Commercial Directory [Off-Line]
- Jump Points from Netmanage
- Talk to My Cat [Often Not
- World Wide Web Shopping Directory
- Shopping2000 from ContentWare [Now A
- David Siegel's Net Tips for
Writers and Designers [Missing]
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997 by the Graphics
Research Laboratory, Inc.
All rights reserved.